No Nonsense Full Wheat Bread


I usually bake bread in the weekends and because I love bread that is based on a poolish with sourdough, I must prepare the poolish the evening before. The next morning, when the poolish is ready, I can start my baking. So almost every Sunday we have fresh bread.
Last Saturday night I forgot my poolish preparation (to much wine?), so I decided to make a poolish based on dry yeast, as it only takes 3 hours to develop. Bertinet helped me for a recipe: in his book Dough he published a way to make 100% full wheat bread, based on a poolish with dry yeast. Because I don't do any stretches and folds I called it No Nonsense Bread....

Poolish:
- 250 g full wheat flour
- 250 g water
- 3 g dry yeast

Dissolve the yeast in the water and mix it well with the flour. Let the poolish develop in a bowl, covered with plastic (put it in a plastic pedal bin liner) and place the bowl on a rack on the warming plate of the Aga for about 3 hours (not longer then 5 hours). The poolish is ready for use when it starts collapsing a little after it almost doubled in volume.

Ingredients:
- 250 g full wheat flour
- 80 g water
- 10 g salt
- 3 g dry yeast


Mix the flour and the water with the poolish until the flour has absorbed all the liquid. No kneading yet! Leave the mass, covered with plastic, for half an hour on the rack on the warming plate for a process that is called autolyse.
After this autolyse mix the salt and the yeast in the dough and start kneading "the Bertinet way". Check my previous post about making Spelt Bread for an explanation of this way of kneading dough for 10 to 15 minutes. When the dough is ready (not sticking any more to the work surface and your hands), put it in a lightly floured bowl, cover it and let it rest for 15 minutes.
After this rest you can shape the bread by putting the dough on a sligthly floured work surface (my work surface for kneading is a tile of chinese black stone, it works very well!) and form it into a batard. Check this Hamelman video for learning how to shape a bread. Put the dough in a wicker basket plated with floured linen and let it (covered with plastic) proof for almost an hour on the warming plate. After proofing and scoring the bread with a razor blade bake the bread for about 45 minutes in the roasting oven. Don't forget to create a humid atmosphere! A detailed explanation how to use the roasting oven for baking bread you can find on my post about making Spelt Bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment